Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Entwined with You - Chapter 15


SHORTLY AFTER FIVE in the morning, I went from unconscious to wide awake in a heartbeat. The
remnants of a dream clung to me, one in which I’d still believed Gideon and I had broken up.
Loneliness and grief weighed me down, pinning me to the bed for several minutes. I wished Gideon
were beside me. I wished I could just roll over and press my body to his.
Partly due to my period, we hadn’t had sex the night before. Instead, we had enjoyed the simple
comfort of just being together. We’d curled up on my bed and watched television until the exhaustion
of my overkill run on the treadmill pulled me under.
I loved those quiet moments when we just held each other. When the sexual attraction simmered
just beneath the surface. I loved the feel of his breath on my skin and the way my curves fit into his
hard planes as if we’d been designed for each other.
Sighing, I knew what had me on edge. It was Thursday and Brett was coming to New York, if he
wasn’t in the city already.
Gideon and I were just starting to find a new rhythm again, which made it the worst possible time
for Brett to come back into my life. I was anxious about something going wrong, some gesture or look
that would be misconstrued and cause fresh problems for Gideon and me to work through.
It’d be the first time Gideon and I would be out together in public since our “breakup.” That was
going to be torture. Standing next to Brett while my heart was with Gideon.
Sliding from bed, I went to the bathroom and cleaned up, and then pulled on a pair of shorts and a
tank top. I needed to be with Gideon. We needed to spend some time together before the day started
with a vengeance.
I moved quietly from my apartment to his, feeling slightly naughty as I ran down the corridor to his
—our—front door.
Once I’d gone inside, I tossed my keys on the breakfast bar and headed down the hallway to the
guest room. He wasn’t there and my heart sank, but I kept searching, because I could feel him. There
was a tingling awareness I experienced only when he was nearby.
I found him in the master bedroom, his arms wrapped around my pillow as he slept partially on his
stomach. The sheet clung to his hips, leaving his powerful back and sculpted arms bare, and revealing
just a hint of the topmost curve of his amazing ass.
He looked like an erotic fantasy come to life. And he was mine.
I loved him so much.
And I wanted him to wake up to me, at least once, with pleasure instead of fear, sadness, and
regret.
I undressed quietly in the early light of dawn, my thoughts spinning with ways I could pleasure my
man. I wanted to run my hands and mouth all over him, make him breathless and hot, feel his body
quiver. I wanted to reaffirm our connection to each other, my whole and irrevocable commitment to
him, before the harsh realities we faced came between us.
As my knee sank into the mattress, he stirred. I crawled to him, pressing my lips to the small of his
back and working my way up slowly.
“Umm. Eva,” he said in a husky voice, lightly stretching beneath me.
“You better hope it’s me, ace.” I nipped his shoulder blade. “This would turn out bad for you, if
not.”
I lowered onto him, laying my body over his. His warmth was divine and I took a moment to savor
it.
“It’s early for you,” he murmured, resting easily, just as content as I was to be touching each other.
“Way,” I agreed. “You’re hugging my pillow.”
“Smells like you. Helps me sleep.”
I brushed his hair aside and pressed my lips to his throat. “That’s a beautiful thing to say. I wish I
could lie around like this with you for the entire day.”
“You remember I want to take you away this weekend.”
“Yes.” I ran my hand over his biceps, my fingers gliding over the hard muscle. “I can’t wait.”
“We’ll leave as soon as you get off work on Friday and fly back just in time for work Monday. You
won’t need anything but your passport.”
“And you.” I kissed his shoulder, then spoke in a nervous rush. “I want you and came prepared to
have you, but it could be messy. I mean, it’s the tail end, so maybe not, but if period sex isn’t your
thing—which I’d totally get, because it has never been my thing—”
“You’re my thing, angel. I’ll take you any way I can get you.”
He flexed, warning me he was going to turn around. I slid to the side, watching his body roll with a
fluid rippling of muscle.
“Sit up for me,” I told him, thinking he was even more amazing than I’d given him credit for. Or
more horny, which I would never hold against him. “With your back against the headboard.”
He arranged himself to my liking, looking sleepy-eyed and sexy, his jaw shadowed with stubble. I
climbed into his lap, straddling him. I took a long moment to savor the attraction between us, the
delicious and provocative edge of danger he exuded even while at rest. Because Gideon wasn’t
tamed and never would be. Just like a panther still had its claws, even when they were sheathed.
That was one of my joys. He gentled for me but remained true to himself. He was still the man I’d
fallen in love with—hard with rough edges—yet he’d changed, too. He was all things to me,
everything I wanted and needed in one imperfect man.
Smoothing his hair back from his face, I traced the curve of his lower lip with the tip of my tongue.
His hands, so warm and strong, gripped my hips. His mouth opened, his tongue touching mine.
“I love you,” I whispered.
“Eva.” Tilting his head, he took over the kiss, deepening it. His lips, so firm yet soft, pressed
against mine. His tongue stroked deep, licking and tasting. The soft rasp of it against the tender flesh
inside my mouth caused goose bumps to spread in a wave over my skin. His cock began to thicken
and lengthen between us, the silky flesh hot against my lower belly.
My nipples tightened, aching, and I shimmied, rubbing them against his chest.
One of his hands cupped my nape, capturing me, holding me steady as he kissed me passionately.
His mouth slanted across mine, seeking and ravenous, sucking on my lips and tongue. Moaning, I
arched into him, my fingers clutching at his black hair.
“Christ, you turn me on,” he growled, pulling his knees up. He urged me back, his body forming a
cradle that supported me. His hands cupped my breasts, his thumbs circling the hard points of my
nipples. “Look at you. You’re so fucking gorgeous.”
Warmth spread through me. “Gideon …”
“Sometimes you’re this icy, hands-off blonde.” His jaw tightened and he slipped one hand between
my legs, his fingers gliding gently through my cleft. “And then you’re like this. So hot and needy.
Wanting my hands all over you, my cock inside you.”
“I’m like this for you. This is what you do to me. What you’ve been doing to me from the moment I
met you.”
Gideon’s gaze slid over me, followed by his hand. As his fingertips caressed the outside curve of
my breast and stroked over my clit at the same time, I shivered.
“I want you,” he said gruffly.
“And here I am—naked.”
His mouth curved in a slow, sexy smile. “I couldn’t miss that.”
The tip of his finger circled my opening. I lifted a little to give him better access, my hands sliding
over his shoulders.
“But I wasn’t talking about sex,” he murmured. “Although I want that, too.”
“With me.”
“Only you,” he agreed. His thumb brushed feather light over my nipple. “Forever and always.”
I moaned and reached for his cock, gripping him in my hands, stroking him from root to tip.
“I look at you, angel, and I want you so badly. I want to be with you, listen to you, talk to you. I
want to hear you laugh and hold you when you cry. I want to sit next to you, breathe the same air,
share the same life. I want to wake up to you like this every day forever. I want you.”
“Gideon.” I leaned forward and kissed him softly. “I want you, too.”
He teased the tip of my breast, tugging and rolling the hardened peak between his fingers. He
rubbed my clit and a soft sound escaped me. Gideon hardened in my hands, his body responding to my
growing desire.
The room was lightening as the sun rose higher, but the world outside seemed a lifetime away. The
intimacy of the moment was both searing and sweet, filling me with joy.
My hands caressed his erection with tender reverence, my only goal to please him and show him
how much I loved him. He touched me the same way, his eyes windows to a wounded soul that
needed me as much as I needed him.
“I’m happy with you, Eva. You make me happy.”
“I’ll make you happy the rest of your life,” I promised him. My hips churned, desire sliding hot and
thick through my veins. “There’s nothing I want more.”
Leaning forward, Gideon flicked the tip of his tongue over my nipple, a quick swipe that sent a
sharp ache through my breast. “I love your tits. Did you know that?”
“Ah, so that’s what did you in—the rack.”
“Keep teasing me, angel. Give me an excuse to spank you. I love your ass, too.”
He pressed a hand to my back, arching me toward his mouth. Hot wetness surrounded the sensitive
peak of my breast. His cheeks hollowed on a deep suck and my sex echoed his mouth, hungry for his
cock.
I felt him everywhere, all around me and inside me. His heat and warmth. His passion. In my hands,
his cock was hard and throbbing, the plush head slick with pre-cum.
“Tell me you love me,” I pleaded.
Gideon’s eyes met mine. “You know I do.”
“Imagine if I never said the words to you. If you never heard them from me.”
His chest expanded on a deep breath. “Crossfire.”
My hands stilled on him.
He swallowed, his throat working. “It’s your word for when things get to be too much, when it’s
too intense. It’s my word, too, because that’s how you make me feel. All the time.”
“Gideon, I …” He’d made me speechless.
“When you say it, it means stop.” His fingertips left my breast and slid down my cheek. “When I
say it, it means never stop. Whatever you’re doing to me, I need you to keep doing it.”
Lifting, I hovered above him. “Let me.”
“Yes.” His fingers left my cleft, and a heartbeat later his cock was filling me, the flared crown
stretching sensitive tissues.
“Slow,” he ordered softly, his gaze hooded as he licked his fingers with long, sensuous laps of his
tongue. He looked so wicked, so shamelessly decadent.
“Help me.” It was always more difficult for me to take him this way, using only gravity and the
weight of my body. As desperate as he’d made me, he was still a tight fit.
He caught my hips, sliding me up and down leisurely, working me onto his thick erection. “Feel
every inch, angel,” he crooned. “Feel how hard you make me.”
My thighs trembled as he rubbed over a tender spot inside me. I gripped his wrists, my sex
rippling.
“Don’t come,” he warned, with that authoritative bite that practically ensured I would. “Not until
you’ve taken all of me.”
“Gideon.” The slow, steady friction of his careful penetration was driving me insane.
“Think of how good it feels when I’m in you, angel. When your greedy little cunt has something to
tighten down on when you’re coming.”
I tightened down on him then, seduced by the coaxing rasp in his voice. “Hurry.”
“You’re the one who has to let me in.” His eyes gleamed with humor. He urged me to lean back,
changing the angle of my descent.
I slid onto him, taking him to the root in one smooth, slick glide. “Oh!”
“Fuck.” His head fell back, his breathing quick and rough. “You feel amazing. You’re squeezing me
like a fist.”
“Baby.” I couldn’t hide the plea in my voice. He was so hard and thick inside me, so deep I could
barely catch my breath …
He shot me a look that scorched. “I want this. You and me, nothing between us.”
“Nothing,” I said fervently, panting. Wriggling. Losing my mind. I needed to come so badly.
“Shh. I’ve got you.” Lifting his thumb to his mouth, Gideon licked the pad, then reached between us,
rubbing my clit with expertly applied pressure. Heat bloomed across my skin in a mist of sweat, the
flush spreading until I felt feverish.
I climaxed in a searing rush of pleasure, my sex spasming in hard, desperate clutches. His growl
was a sound of pure animal sexuality, his cock swelling in response to the covetous milking of my
body.
But he didn’t come, which made my orgasm all the more intimate. I was open, vulnerable,
wrenched by desire. And he watched me fall apart with those haunting blue eyes, his control absolute.
The fact that he didn’t move, just held himself deep, enhanced the feeling of connection between us.
A tear slid down my cheek, the orgasm pushing my emotions over the edge.
“Come here,” he said hoarsely, his hands sliding up my back and pulling me into him. He licked the
tear away, then nudged me sweetly with the tip of his nose. My breasts pressed against his chest, my
arms went around his waist, slipping into the space between him and the headboard. I held him close,
my body quivering with aftershocks.
“You’re so beautiful,” he murmured. “So soft and sweet. Kiss me, angel.”
Tilting my head, I offered him my mouth. The melding was hot and wet, an erotic mixture of his
unsated lust and my overwhelming love.
I pushed my fingers into his hair, cupping the back of his head to hold him still. He did the same to
me, the two of us communicating without words. His lips sealed over mine, his tongue fucking my
mouth even as his cock remained unmoving inside me.
I felt the undercurrent of strain in his kiss and his touch, and I knew he worried about the day’s
events, too. I arched my back, curving into him, wishing I could make us inseparable. His teeth caught
my lower lip, sinking gently into the swollen curve. I whimpered and he murmured, soothing me with
rhythmic strokes of his tongue.
“Don’t move,” he said hoarsely, restraining me with his grip at my nape. “I want to come just
feeling you around me.”
“Please,” I breathed. “Come in me. Let me feel you.”
We were completely entwined, grasping and pulling at each other, his cock rigid inside me, our
hands in each other’s hair, our lips and tongues mating frantically.
Gideon was mine, completely. Yet still some part of my mind was stunned that I had him like this,
that he was naked in a bed we shared, in an apartment we shared, that he was inside me, a part of me,
taking every bit of my love and passion and giving me back so much more.
“I love you,” I moaned, tightening my core and squeezing him. “I love you so much.”
“Eva. God.” He shuddered, coming. He groaned into my mouth, his hands flexing against my scalp,
his breath gusting hard across my lips.
I felt him spurting inside me, filling me, and I trembled with another orgasm, the pleasure pulsing
gently through me.
His hands roamed restlessly, rubbing up and down my back, his kiss that perfect blend of love and
desire. I felt his gratitude and need, recognized it because I felt the same way.
It was a miracle that I’d found him, that he could make me feel this way, that I could love a man so
deeply and completely and sexually with all the baggage I carried. And that I could offer the same
refuge to him in return.
Laying my cheek against his chest, I listened to his heart pounding, his perspiration mingling with
mine.
“Eva.” He exhaled harshly. “Those answers you want from me … I need you to ask the questions.”
I held him for a long minute, waiting for our bodies to recover and my own panic to subside. He
was still inside me. We were as close as we could be, but it wasn’t enough for him. He had to have
more, on every front. He wasn’t going to quit until he possessed every part of me and infiltrated every
aspect of my life.
Pulling back, I looked at him. “I’m not going anywhere, Gideon. You don’t have to push yourself if
you’re not ready.”
“I am ready.” His gaze held mine, blazing with power and determination. “I need you to be ready.
Because it won’t be long before I’m going to ask you a question, Eva. And I’m going to need you to
give me the right answer.”
“It’s too soon,” I whispered, my throat tight. I lifted slightly, trying to gain some distance, but he
pulled me back and held me down. “I don’t know if I can.”
“But you’re not going anywhere,” he reminded, his jaw set. “And neither am I. Why put off the
inevitable?”
“That’s not the way you need to look at it. We’ve got too many triggers. If we’re not careful, one or
both of us will shut down, cut the other one—”
“Ask me, Eva,” he commanded.
“Gideon—”
“Now.”
Frustrated by his obstinacy, I stewed for a minute, then decided that whatever the reason, there
were questions that needed answers no matter what. “Dr. Lucas. Do you know why he lied to your
mother?”
His jaw worked as he clenched his teeth, his eyes turning hard and cold. “He was protecting his
brother-in-law.”
“What?” I sat back, my thoughts spinning. “Anne’s brother? The woman you were sleeping with?”
“Fucking,” he corrected harshly. “Everyone in Anne’s family is in the mental health field. The
whole fucked-up lot of them. She’s a shrink. Did any of your Google searches dig that up?”
I nodded absently, more concerned with the vehemence with which he said the word shrink,
practically spitting it out. Was that why he hadn’t gotten help before? And how much did he love me
to make the effort to see Dr. Petersen despite his loathing?
“I didn’t know it right away,” he went on. “I couldn’t figure out why Lucas lied. He’s a
pediatrician, for chrissakes. He’s supposed to care about kids.”
“Screw that. He’s supposed to be human!” Rage filled me, a white-hot desire to find Lucas and hurt
him. “I can’t believe he could look me in the eye like he did and say all that shit he said.”
Blaming Gideon for everything … trying to drive a wedge between us …
“It wasn’t until I met you that I finally started to get it,” he said, his hands tightening around my
waist. “He loves Anne. Maybe as much as I love you. Enough to overlook her cheating and cover up
for her brother to spare her the truth. Or embarrassment.”
“He shouldn’t be practicing medicine.”
“I don’t disagree.”
“So why is his office in one of your buildings?”
“I bought the building because his practice is in it. Helps me keep an eye on him and how well he’s
doing … or not.”
Something about the way he said “or not” led me to wonder: Did he have anything to do with
Lucas’s less profitable times? I remembered when Cary had been taken to the hospital and how
special arrangements had been made for him and for me, because Gideon was such a generous
benefactor. How much could he influence?
If there were ways to put Lucas at a disadvantage, I was certain Gideon knew them all.
“And the brother-in-law?” I asked. “What happened to him?”
Gideon’s chin lifted and his gaze narrowed. “The statute of limitations ran out for me, but I
confronted him, told him if he ever went into practice or laid a hand on another child I’d set up an
unlimited fund dedicated to prosecuting him civilly and criminally on behalf of his victims. Shortly
after that, he killed himself.”
The last was said without inflection, which made the hairs on my nape stand on end. I shivered
with a sudden chill that came from inside me.
He rubbed his hands up and down my arms, trying to warm me, but he didn’t pull me into him.
“Hugh was married. Had a child. A boy. Just a few years old.”
“Gideon.” I hugged him, understanding. He’d lost a father to suicide, too. “What Hugh chose to do
isn’t your fault. You’re not responsible for the decisions he made.”
“Aren’t I?” he asked, with that ice in his voice.
“No, you’re not.” I held him as tight as I could, willing my love into his tense, rigid body. “And the
boy … His father’s death might have prevented him from experiencing what you did. Have you
thought of that?”
His chest lifted and fell roughly. “Yes, I’ve thought of it. But he doesn’t know what his father was.
He only knows that his dad is gone, by choice, and he’s left behind. He’ll believe his father didn’t
care enough about him to stay.”
“Baby.” I pulled his head toward me, urging him to rest against me. I didn’t know what to say. I
couldn’t make excuses for Geoffrey Cross and I knew Gideon was thinking of him, as well as the boy
he himself had once been. “You didn’t do anything wrong.”
“I need you to stay, Eva,” he whispered, his arms finally coming around me. “And you’re holding
back. It’s driving me crazy.”
I rocked gently, cradling him. “I’m being cautious because you’re so important to me.”
“I know it’s not fair to ask you to be with me”—his head tilted back—“when we can’t even sleep
in the same bed, but I’ll love you better than anyone else could. I’ll take care of you and make you
happy. I know I can.”
“You do.” I brushed his hair back from his temples and wanted to cry when I saw the longing on his
face. “I want you to believe I’ll stay with you.”
“You’re afraid.”
“Not of you.” I sighed, trying to pull the words together in a way that made sense. “I can’t … I can’t
just be an extension of you.”
“Eva.” His features softened. “I can’t change who I am, and I don’t want to change who you are. I
just want us to be who we are—together.”
I kissed him. I didn’t know what to say. I wanted us to live the same life, too, to be together in
every way we could be. But I also believed that neither of us was ready.
“Gideon.” I kissed him again, my lips clinging to his. “You and me, we’re barely strong enough on
our own. We’re getting better all the time, but we’re not there yet. It’s not just about the nightmares.”
“Tell me what it’s about, then.”
“Everything. I don’t know … It’s not right for me to live in a place Stanton pays for anymore now
that Nathan isn’t a threat. And especially not now that my parents hooked up.”
His brows shot up. “Excuse me?”
“Yeah,” I confirmed. “Total mess.”
“Move in with me,” he said, rubbing my back to comfort me.
“So … I skip right over making it on my own? Am I always going to live off someone else?”
“For fuck’s sake.” He made a frustrated noise. “Would you feel better if we shared the rent?”
“Ha! Like I could afford your penthouse, even paying just a third of it. And there’s no way Cary
could.”
“So we’ll move in here or next door, if you want, and take over the lease. I don’t care where, Eva.”
I stared at him, wanting what he was offering but afraid I’d miss a big pitfall that would hurt us.
“You came to me as soon as you got up this morning,” he pointed out. “You don’t like being away
from me, either. Why torture ourselves? Sharing the same space should be the least of our problems.”
“I don’t want to screw this up,” I told him, my fingers brushing over his chest. “I need us to work,
Gideon.”
He caught my hand and pressed it over his heart. “I need us to work, too, angel. And I want
mornings like this and nights like last night while we do it.”
“No one even knows we’re seeing each other. How do we go from being broken up to living
together?”
“We start today. You’re taking Cary with you to the video launch. I’ll come up to the both of you
with Ireland, say hi—”
“She called me,” I interrupted, “and told me to go up to you. She wants us to get back together.”
“She’s a smart girl.” He smiled and I felt a little thrill at the thought that he might be opening up to
her. “So one of us will approach the other, make small talk, and I’ll say hi to Cary. You and I won’t
have to fake the attraction between us. Tomorrow, I’ll take you out to lunch. Bryant Park Grill would
be ideal. We’ll make a show of it.”
It all sounded wonderful and easy, but … “Is it safe?”
“Finding Nathan’s bracelet on a criminal’s corpse opens the door to reasonable doubt. That’s all
we need.”
We looked at each other, sharing the feeling of hope, the sense of excitement and expectation in a
future that had seemed so much more uncertain just yesterday.
He touched my cheek. “You made a reservation at Tableau One for tonight.”
I nodded. “Yeah, I had to use your name to get on the list, but Brett asked me out to dinner and I
wanted us to go to a place connected with you.”
“Ireland and I have a reservation at the same time. We’ll join you.”
I shifted awkwardly, nervous at the thought, and Gideon thickened inside me. “Uh …”
“Don’t worry,” he murmured, his focus clearly shifting to more heated thoughts. “It’ll be fun.”
“Yeah, right.”
Banding his arms around my hips and shoulder blades, Gideon scooped me up and moved, rolling
and putting me beneath him. “Trust me.”
I was going to reply, but he kissed me quiet and fucked me senseless.
I showered and dressed at Gideon’s, then hurried back down the hallway to my apartment for my
purse and bag, trying not to look like I was sneaking around. It was easy to get ready at Gideon’s
apartment, since he’d stocked the bathroom with all my usual toiletries and cosmetics, and had
purchased enough clothes and underwear for me to never have to wear anything from my own closet.
It was too much, but that was the way he was.
I was rinsing off the mug I’d used for a quick cup of coffee when Trey came into the kitchen.
He smiled sheepishly. Dressed in a pair of Cary’s sweats and his own shirt from last night, he
looked right at home. “Good morning.”
“Back atcha.” I put the mug in the dishwasher and faced him. “I’m glad you came to dinner.”
“Me, too. I had fun.”
“Coffee?” I asked him.
“Please. I have to get ready for work, but I’m dragging.”
“I’ve had those days.” I fixed him a cup and slid it over.
He took the mug and lifted it in a salute of thanks. “Can I ask you something?”
“Shoot.”
“Do you like Tatiana, too? Is it weird for you, having us both around?”
I shrugged. “I don’t really know Tatiana, to be honest. She doesn’t hang with Cary and me the way
you do.”
“Oh.”
I started heading out and squeezed his shoulder before I passed him. “Have a good one.”
“You, too.”
I checked my phone while taking a cab to work. I almost wished I’d walked, since the cabbie kept
the front windows down and was apparently averse to wearing deodorant. The only saving grace was
that it was faster than walking.
There was a text from Brett sent around six in the morning: On the ground. Can’t wait to c u 2nite!
I sent him back a smiley face.
Megumi looked good when I met up with her at work, which made me happy, but Will was looking
glum. As I was putting my purse in a drawer, he stopped by my cubicle and rested his crossed arms
along the low wall.
“What’s the matter?” I asked him, looking up at him from my chair.
“Help. Need carbs.”
Laughing, I shook my head. “I think it’s sweet that you’re suffering through this diet for your girl.”
“I shouldn’t complain,” he said. “She’s lost like five pounds—that I didn’t think she had to lose,
mind you—and she looks amazing and has all this energy. But God … I feel like a slug. My body’s
not built for this.”
“Are you asking me out to lunch?”
“Please.” He clasped his hands together like he was praying. “You’re one of the few women I
know who actually enjoys eating.”
“I’ve got the butt to show for it, too,” I said ruefully. “But sure. I’m game.”
“You’re the best, Eva.” He backed up and bumped into Mark. “Oops. Sorry.”
Mark grinned. “No problem.”
Will headed back to his cubicle and Mark turned his smile to me.
“We’ve got the Drysdel team coming in at nine thirty,” I reminded him.
“Right. And I’ve got an idea I’d like to run past strategy before they get here.”
I grabbed my tablet and stood, thinking we’d be running down to the wire. “You’re living on the
edge, boss.”
“Only way to do it. Come on.”
The day flew by and I rushed full-bore all through it, filled with restless energy. Getting up so
early, then eating a plate of pierogi for lunch, didn’t slow me down.
I wrapped up exactly at five and did a quick change in the bathroom, switching from my skirt and
blouse into a more casual jersey dress in pale blue. I slipped on a pair of wedge sandals, swapped
out my diamond studs for silver hoops, and turned my ponytail into a messy bun. Then I headed down
to the lobby.
As I moved toward the revolving entrance door, I saw Cary standing outside on the sidewalk
talking to Brett. I slowed, giving myself a minute to absorb the sight of my old flame.
Brett’s short-cropped hair was naturally dark blond, but he’d had the tips dyed platinum and the
look was a good one for him, with his tanned skin and irises of a beautiful emerald green. On stage he
was usually shirtless, but today he was dressed in black cargo pants and bloodred T-shirt, his arms
covered in sleeves of tattoos that writhed over his muscles.
He turned his head then, looking inside the lobby, and I started walking again, my stomach fluttering
a little when he caught sight of me, and his ruggedly handsome face was softened by a smile that
revealed a killer dimple.
Jesus, he was sexy as hell.
Feeling a little too exposed, I pulled out my sunglasses and slipped them on. Then I took a deep
breath as I spun through the revolving doors, my gaze shifting to the Bentley parked just behind Brett’s
limo.
Brett whistled. “Damn, Eva. You’re more gorgeous every time I see you.”
I shot a strained smile at Cary, my pulse racing madly. “Hey.”
“You look great, baby girl,” he said, reaching for my hand.
Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Angus step out of the Bentley. In that moment of distraction, I
totally missed Brett reaching for me. A split second after I registered his hands at my waist, I realized
he was going to kiss me and barely turned my head in time. His lips touched the corner of my mouth,
feeling warm and familiar. I stumbled back, tripping over Cary, who caught me by the shoulders.
Flushed with embarrassment and disoriented, I looked anywhere but at Brett.
And found myself looking into the icy blue eyes of Gideon.

1 comment:

  1. Easily Increase Your ClickBank Commissions And Traffic

    Bannerizer made it easy for you to promote ClickBank products using banners, simply visit Bannerizer, and grab the banner codes for your selected ClickBank products or use the Universal ClickBank Banner Rotator to promote all of the ClickBank products.

    ReplyDelete